Horse World Inc. Banner and Logo  

Store Location and Hours

About Us

Graphic spacer Events hosted by Horse World Ashland Farms: Home of the Horse World Breeding Program Horse World Store: Everything for the horse and dog lover Join in the discussions on the Horse World Bulletin Boards Eastern Ontario Trillium Zone general information and results Ottawa Valley Primary Show Circuit general information and results Horse World contacts, maps and directions Graphic spacer
spacer
    Horse World    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Discussion Groups  Hop To Forums  Horse Care    Horse urinating in crossties

Moderators: Bounce, Jump Crew
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horse urinating in crossties
 Login/Join 
Schooling
posted
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm tired of cleaning up and don't want to stink up the place for other people.

I've had several horses and all of them liked to pee in crossties. Geldings like to go after a ride. One mare that I had waited all day to get in to do her number 1 and 2 so I had to start taking her to her stall first before grooming in the crossties.

I had one of these horses' urine analyzed (no kidney stones), none of them had sore backs or other health issues.

Might it be that the horse smells that another one has peed in crossties and therefore thinks that it is OK? Or might it be a relaxing thing?

Any advise on how to prevent this? The gelding that I have now will go as soon as I turn my back on him (e.g. to take the saddle to my locker).

Posts: 275 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grand Prix
posted Hide Post
Tack him up in his stall

Posts: 1084 | Location: Carleton Place | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Schooling
posted Hide Post
The problem with this gelding is that he doesn't have a stall, he is on outdoor board. I could take him to another horse's stall but at the moment horses that have indoor board are in during the day so I have nowhere to put him.

Posts: 275 | Location: Ottawa | Registered: November 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grand Prix
posted Hide Post
Can you tack him up outside?

Posts: 650 | Location: Carp | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
formerly known as {{...Katie...}}
Grand Prix
posted Hide Post
As horrible as it sounds... I used to whack my horse's stomach every time he did it (He used to do it ALL the time as well, same as your guy). After a couple times of getting a decent whack, he figured it might be a better idea not to do it... Hasn't done it since! (this was 6 years ago!)

Posts: 1202 | Location: Kanata | Registered: February 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Schooling
posted Hide Post
A gelding i ride lives out during the day, and no matter what time you bring him in, if you don't put him in a stall, he'll poop in the aisle. So, immediately from outside, I put him in his stall, and wait. Once he poops (and quite often pees as well), then I'll take him out to tack up.

Posts: 291 | Location: Royale Equestrian Centre | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Schooling
posted Hide Post
My gelding usually pees in cross ties after a ride. Usualy when I take my saddle back to the take room. I've started taking his bridle and saddle off and then right away putting him in his stall.

I don't know what I would do with an outdoor horse if he were doing this. It's a difficult habit to deal with for sure. Messy!

Posts: 123 | Location: Russell, ON | Registered: July 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'life is a runaway train you can't wait to jump on' Sugarland
Grand Prix
posted Hide Post
my mare always poos before ride, and pees after ride, no matter in stall or crosstie. i just tack her up in a stall, less mess to clean up.

since you don't have a stall, tacking up outside is a way to bypass the mess and stink.

----------------------------------------------
Horse- $5000
Bridle- $50
Saddle- $ 600
Horse Show- $ 300
Coming home safe and sound- Priceless

Posts: 732 | Location: Kars, Ont. | Registered: March 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Schooling
posted Hide Post
Yes unless you can put him in a stall for a short time before and after you ride there is not much you can do, try the suggestions mentioned. I had a gelding that no matter what I had to put him in his stall right after I rode him. And then I learned at shows that he needed to pee after each test, so we had to load him up in the trailer so he could go. Though he did finally learn to pee outside. It's a real pain when you have horses like this.
A coach of mine was telling me she had a stallion that even at shows she had to warm him up and then get off take him back to his stall so he could pee otherwise he didn't perform well in the ring.

Posts: 373 | Registered: March 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Schooling
posted Hide Post
all I have to say is this: gotta love our horses, eh? ;D

Posts: 291 | Location: Royale Equestrian Centre | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post